Our planet commitments
We have 23 forward-looking commitments across the four areas of our responsible business approach.
We aim to reduce environmental impacts across our value chain by minimising our carbon footprint, reducing local water impacts and cutting operational waste.
Each year we report on our progress against these commitments and here we provide a summary for those that relate to Our planet.
Aiming to be carbon neutral
Reduce our overall carbon footprint by 25% by 2020 (vs. 2010) and have a carbon neutral value chain by 2050.
Progress: Work needed
- Due to the Novartis transaction, our overall carbon footprint (scope 1,2, and 3) increased from 17.8 million tonnes CO2e in 2014 to 20.3 million tonnes of CO2e in 2015.
- Direct carbon emissions declined in 2016, bringing the total reduction to 18% over six years. Achieved an A-grade in CDP’s climate change programme.
Reducing our water impact
By 2020, reduce our water impact across the value chain by 20% (vs. 2010).
Progress: Progressing well
- Reduced our water usage across our operations by 3% against 2015; a 23% reduction compared to our 2010 baseline.
- Achieved an ‘A’ score on CDP’s water programme.
Reducing our waste
By 2020, reduce our operational waste by 50% (vs. 2010).
Progress: On track
- Produced 4% less waste in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- Over 70% of our manufacturing and R&D sites have achieved zero waste to landfill.
Our responsible business commitments
Our health for all commitments
Our health for all commitments aim to tackle some of the biggest global health challenges through addressing unmet medical needs, making our medicines and vaccines more accessible, and strengthening healthcare systems.
Our behaviour commitments
We aim to ensure our employees and the third parties we work with act according to our values – patient focus, integrity, respect for people and transparency.