Research and development (Vaccines)
Exciting minds with our Future Leaders graduate programme – Research and development (Vaccines)
Developing vaccines that save lives
Help us research and develop the vaccines that help people do more, live better, live longer.
We’re looking for Future Leaders in Research and development (Vaccines)
Are you an analytical graduate who’s keen to develop innovative vaccines that meet real public health needs? If so, you could be working on solutions with the potential to save lives worldwide. Our vaccines portfolio includes meningitis, rotavirus, hepatitis and influenza vaccines, and covers vaccines for children, adolescents, adults, travellers and the elderly. And through a tailored programme of training, mentoring and work experience, you’ll learn all about it while honing your technical skills. There’ll also be the chance to pursue a career focused on specific vaccine projects. This popular and highly competitive career path attracts scientists from many disciplines.
Read about Andres' experience at GSK
"When I finished my doctoral studies in bio-engineering, my next step wasn’t clear to me. I felt I had achieved my goals within academia and I knew I wanted to transition into a corporate environment. But how? Where would my skills fit? What opportunities were out there for people like me?"
Develop your career
If you’re a graduate with the talent and ambition to lead others, this programme will provide you with the skills you need to pursue a career in manufacturing within the pharmaceutical industry.
Over two years, our Future Leaders graduate programme will challenge and support you to grow professionally and personally. You’ll have three stretching rotations in three different R&D departments, including one six-month assignment based abroad.
It all begins with a one-year rotation where you’ll get to work on core activities within the R&D Vaccines function. Through this hands-on role and your later placements, you’ll get an outstanding insight into our Vaccines R&D business. You’ll see science in action in our labs, be part of a vaccines development project team, discover our clinical activities, meet our customers or learn about the risk and compliance side of vaccine development.
We’ll tailor your training and development to suit your talents and ambition, as well as our business needs, setting you up for success. After you complete our Future Leaders programme, you’ll have the skills to become a leader of the future, with a solid foundation for a variety of R&D careers within the pharmaceutical industry.
What can you expect?
You'll have the opportunity to:
- learn how new products become reality on a tailored development programme
- see how biology, chemistry and medicine come together in the world of vaccines
- learn how vaccines are developed
- manage projects together with multidisciplinary teams
- source and analyse complex information to help us make key decisions
- be part of a diverse network, working with graduates from all over the world
- gain a good understanding of all areas of GSK and our Vaccines business, from R&D to the commercial organisation
What are the requirements?
- a PhD or postdoc degree in a scientific field, or an MD.
- a maximum of two years’ experience if you’re a postdoc fellow
- to have completed your foundation if you have a medical degree
- fluent English
- a passion for science and a real interest in the pharmaceutical and vaccines world
- innovative thinking and technical strength
- to be analytical and comfortable with data
- excellent communication skills
- the ability to build trust and relationships with stakeholders
- a gift for learning quickly
Meet our graduates
Develop your career at GSK
Find out more about the development opportunities available to Future Leaders at GSK
If you’re a talented, ambitious student or graduate and share our values, this two or three-year programme is an amazing opportunity to build leadership skills and start your career with one of the world’s leading scientific businesses.