Our sustainability goals and targets
As a global biopharma leader, we want to play our full part in protecting and restoring the planet’s health, in order to protect and improve people’s health. Improving the environmental sustainability of our business makes us more resilient, so we can deliver the products that patients rely on.
Scientific evidence is increasingly demonstrating how climate change and nature loss are impacting the world and human health. For example, human health is under threat from air pollution, diseases that pass from animals to humans and threats to water security. Climate and nature changes are testing the resiliency of healthcare systems.
As a global biopharma leader, addressing our environmental impact is fundamental to our purpose. That’s why we have set ambitious climate and nature targets.
Net zero impact on climateOur climate action targets
- 100% renewable electricity by 2025 (Scope 2)
- 80% reduction in carbon emissions and investment in nature-based solutions for the remaining 20% of our footprint by 2030 (all scopes)*
- Net zero emissions across our full value chain by 2045 (all scopes)
* Previously stated as net zero by 2030, and updated to align with the SBTI Net Zero Standard. See page 16 of the 2022 ESG Performance Report for more context.
Contributing to nature positive worldOur nature action targets
- 100% of our sites to achieve good water stewardship by 2025 and reduce overall water use by 20% by 2030
- Water neutral in operations and with key suppliers in water-stressed regions by 2030
- Zero impact active pharmaceutical ingredient levels1 for all sites and key suppliers by 2030*
- Positive impact on biodiversity at all sites2 by 2030
- 100% of agricultural and forestry derived materials sustainably sourced and deforestation free by 20303*
- 100% of marine-derived materials sustainably sourced by 2030
- 100% renewable electricity by 2025 (Scope 2)*
- 80% reduction in carbon emissions across our full value chain by 2030*
- Net zero carbon emissions across our full value chain by 2045*
- Zero operational waste4, including eliminating single use plastics5 by 2030*
- 10% waste reduction from supply chain by 2030
- 25% environmental impact reduction for our products and packaging by 2030
1Below the predicted no-effect level
3 Target updated in December 2021 to reflect priority materials
4 Including a 20% reduction in routine hazardous and non-hazardous waste
5 Where regulatory obligations allow, and excluding plastics which are critical to product discovery and development and health & safety
* Linked with the remuneration of our senior leaders
We report progress against these underlying targets and goals on an annual basis, disclosed as part of our Annual Report and ESG reporting.
Find out about our sustainability focus areas
We are committed to net zero impact on climate across our entire value chain.
Fresh water is key to the sustainable production of our medicines and vaccines.
Materials and waste
We are working hard across our value chain to reduce our materials and waste.
Biodiversity is key to achieving our nature goals across every aspect of our business.
What sustainability means for GSK
Delivering our sustainability targets is not just important for planetary and human health. It’s important for us as a business in terms of supporting growth, mitigating risk and getting ahead of legislation.
As countries around the world commit to low carbon healthcare systems, we are seeing increasing demand from customers, healthcare practitioners and patients for sustainable products. We understand this is an issue that many of our people are passionate about.