There are a wide range of different options on offer at locations around the UK. So, whatever your interests and strengths, there could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Digital Apprentice Brochure
Read our Digital Apprentice Brochure to learn more about our UK Apprentice programme and what our current Apprentices have to say about their experience.
Grow with GSK
- Work for a company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together
- Earn a competitive salary and benefits while working towards your qualifications
- Gain practical experience in a real role with genuine responsibility
- Learn from inspiring industry experts, from your first day here
- Meet some amazing people and join our wider apprentice community
Advanced Apprenticeships (Level 3)
A foundation for moving on to a professional career or further qualifications.
Our Advanced apprenticeships typically require 5 GCSEs at grade 9-5 or Scottish National 5s at A-C, including English Language, Science and Maths. However the exact requirements vary per role, so please review the individual job description when making an application.
Engineers at GSK are responsible for designing, maintaining and improving our leading-edge manufacturing facilities that deliver life-saving treatments. Our multi-skilled engineering apprenticeship programme is designed to create the technicians and engineers of the future. As an engineering apprentice, you will have the opportunity to develop mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, control & automation skills.
We offer Engineering apprenticeships in a manufacturing setting. Our Engineering apprenticeship lasts up to four years. In the first year, you’ll spend most of your time at college, studying theory elements of the apprenticeship and gaining some practical hands-on experience. In subsequent years, you’ll continue one day a week at college while learning new skills as part of an engineering team.
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. You will:
- Develop mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and automation skills
- Learn how to maintain production equipment
- Carry out routine maintenance
- Fault find, diagnose and resolve breakdowns
- Help install and test new equipment
Our manufacturing apprenticeship is designed to create the manufacturing technicians of the future. As a manufacturing apprentice you will develop the skills and knowledge required to operate the systems and equipment that produce our pharmaceutical products - from chemical processing to tablet and syrup manufacturing or pharmaceutical packaging.
During the apprenticeship you will study the theory of pharmaceutical production, first touch engineering and lean manufacturing as well as safety and risk management. You will complete a series of on-site job rotations, learning how to operate the different equipment that makes our pharmaceutical products.
Your apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development.
Your role may involve:
- Learning how to operate equipment in the manufacture and packaging of our pharmaceutical products
- First touch engineering - root causing and solving breakdowns
- Data collection, analysis and trending to identify improvement opportunities
- Improvement projects
- Learning about the functions that support manufacturing (Laboratory, engineering, logistics & scheduling)
- Assisting in new product and equipment introductions
- Ensuring quality, safety and accuracy
Higher and Degree Apprenticeships
Higher Apprenticeships (Level 4-5)
Equivalent to a foundation degree or similar qualification. All your training costs and tuition fees paid.
To be eligible for our Higher apprenticeships, typically you will need 96 UCAS points (or equivalent), plus 5 GCSEs grade 9-5 or equivalent including English Language, Science and Maths. However the exact requirements vary per role, so please review the individual job description when making an application.
Degree Apprenticeships (Level 6+)
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. Your full fees paid throughout your study.
To be eligible for our Degree apprenticeships, typically you will need 96 UCAS points (or equivalent), plus 5 GCSEs grade 9-5 or equivalent including English Language, Science and Maths. However the exact requirements vary per role, so please review the individual job description when making an application.
Our Laboratory Science apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our Research and Development (R&D) or Manufacturing laboratories – the heartbeat of our company.
We offer Laboratory Science Apprenticeships in either a Manufacturing or a Research & Development setting. You will have the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas.
These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to full scale manufacturing
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Working within a multidisciplinary team to support the research, discovery and manufacture of new medicines.
- Learning how to prioritise and manage projects, objectives, and deadlines.
You’ll also be working towards a nationally recognised qualification – studying for a Bachelors degree (BSc) in Applied Chemical Science on our chemistry-based laboratory apprenticeship or a Bachelors degree (BSc) in Applied Bioscience on our biology-based apprenticeship
You’ll also be working towards a nationally recognised qualification – studying for a Bachelors degree (BSc) in Applied Chemical Science on our chemistry-based laboratory apprenticeship or a Bachelors degree (BSc) in Applied Bioscience on our biology-based apprenticeship.
Making sure our products, processes and equipment are fit for purpose is an essential role in our business. This apprenticeship provides technical capabilities in the manufacture, support and troubleshooting of new and existing drug products made at our pharmaceutical production sites. You will develop, execute and complete technical projects, resolve drug product related production and laboratory issues and look to continuously improve existing processes all of which are important steps in the supply chain, demonstrating that we are actively improving the quality of our customers’ lives by consistently delivering products of the highest possible quality.
You’ll be excited by the thought of:
- Gaining an understanding of a broad range of pharmaceutical equipment and processes as well as an understanding of their potential impact on product, quality and patient safety
- Gaining an understanding of how to validate the processes and equipment to ensure they are fit for purpose
- Developing an understanding of pharmaceutical regulatory requirements and their application within a pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
Our Supply Chain degree apprenticeship will give you the opportunity to play a key role in helping the company source raw materials, manufacture our products and deliver the finished products all over the world.
Ensuring that our products are delivered to our patients and customers when they need them is vital. As a business and supply chain apprentice, you will gain a strong understanding of the steps involved in an end-to-end supply chain and play a key role in ensuring that GSK makes the right products and delivers them to the right place at the right time.
During the apprenticeship you will gain insight into how products and goods are made and shipped including warehouse operations. You’ll learn how to use and interpret supply chain data to organise our raw materials and help plan and organise our manufacturing and product delivery schedules.
This apprenticeship combines on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your role might include:
- Scheduling and planning our raw materials and pharmaceutical production lines
- Assist with the logistics of new product introductions, packaging and shipping
- Learning about warehouse management inbound and outbound
- Understand the complexities of shipping internationally, cold train and customs
- Attending daily and weekly performance meetings and running reports
- Helping team members with data collection and data analysis
- As you progress in the role you will have more responsibility, potentially picking up your own portfolio of products and production lines to manage
- You’ll be working towards a bachelor’s degree (BSc Hons) in Supply Chain Management.
Do you have a passion for maths? Our Data Scientist apprenticeship could be for you! Data Science is a broad and fast-moving field spanning maths and statistics, software engineering and communications. Data Scientists blend experience and knowledge from a wide range of fields and organisations, and continuously seek to expand their range of technical skills.
As a Data Scientist apprentice, you will be part of one of our Manufacturing, Research and Development (R&D) or Commercial teams where you will play a key role in organising, studying and drawing insights and recommendations from our data. You’ll be working towards a degree (BSc) in Data Science funded by GSK and studies will be blended - combining online study with face to face lectures at university.
In R&D, our Data Science apprentices are at the heart of innovation, discovering and developing differentiated, high-quality and needed medicines that our bringing transformational benefits to our patients. Our R&D apprentices support the drug discovery and development process through the integrative analysis of internal and/or external biomedical data. In R&D and GSK our data competencies are diverse and include: genetics and genomics analyses (e.g. gene expression, integrative omics, functional genomics), pathways and networks analyses, disease indications findings, molecular evolution, process mapping and understanding and cheminformatic and bioinformatics analyses of small molecule leads.
At our manufacturing sites Data Scientists are key to maximising the quality and efficiency of pharmaceutical processes. We’ve been investing millions of pounds in state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment. The vast amounts of data these machines are capable of collecting needs organising, studying and insights drawn and recommendations made to enable us to improve our manufacturing performance. And our Data Scientist apprentice has a key role to play in this!
In our Commercial functions you will learn how to deliver impactful analytical insights and recommendations to enhance the performance of our UK sales and marketing organisation. You will gain skills in data management, machine learning and statistics, whilst also developing your commercial business acumen.
We offer apprenticeships in locations across the UK. The specific apprenticeships available at each location depend on the function of the facility or office. When you search for GSK apprentice vacancies in your local area, the types of apprenticeships on offer will be clearly stated.
The switch from classroom to workplace is exciting. But we know it can be a little daunting too. It’s natural to wonder “Will I feel welcomed?”, “Am I going to fit in?” or “Do I have to put on an act?”. Rest assured, GSK will have a warm reception for you, whatever your background, however you choose to define yourself. GSK is a place where you can be the real you.
Already going to uni?
You can still get practical experience at GSK if you decide that university is your preferred route. We offer a wide range of internships and year-long industrial placements.