GSK delivers sales of £7.7 billion +6% AER, +5% CER
Issued: London, UK
Total EPS 16.8p, +50% AER, +42% CER; Adjusted EPS 30.1p, +22% AER, +18% CER
- Pharmaceuticals sales £4.2 billion, +4% AER, +2% CER; Vaccines £1.5 billion, +23% AER, +20% CER; Consumer Healthcare £2.0 billion, flat AER, +1% CER.
- Total Group operating margin 18.6%. Adjusted Group operating margin 28.2%, +1.6 percentage points AER, +1.0 percentage point CER (Pharmaceuticals 29.8%; Vaccines 40.3%; Consumer Healthcare 21.7%). Benefits from strong sales growth and phasing of R&D.
- Total EPS 16.8p, +50% AER, +42% CER.
- Adjusted EPS 30.1p, +22% AER, +18% CER, driven by strong operating performance, continued financial efficiencies, reduction in minority share and a one-off benefit to associates.
- Net cash flow from operations £663 million. Free cash flow £165 million.
- 19p dividend declared for the quarter; continue to expect 80p for full year 2019.
- 2019 Guidance reaffirmed.
Product and pipeline highlights
- Total HIV sales £1.1 billion, +7% AER, +4% CER, including Juluca sales of £70 million.
- Dovato (dolutegravir+lamivudine), first once-daily 2-drug regimen for treatment-naive HIV patients, launched in US.
- Long-acting cabotegravir+rilpivirine filed in the US for treatment of HIV.
- Total new Respiratory product sales £631 million, +29% AER, +25% CER, including Trelegy £87 million; Nucala £152 million.
- Shingrix sales £357 million driven by continued strong launch execution in US.
- Continued progress in immuno-oncology pipeline:
- Zejula sales of £42 million since 22 January following completion of Tesaro acquisition
- Positive data from GARNET study presented at the Society of Gynecologic Oncology conference indicating robust activity of PD-1 dostarlimab in patients with advanced or recurrent endometrial cancer
- Global alliance with Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany completed to jointly develop and commercialise M7824,
a novel immunotherapy with potential in multiple difficult-to-treat cancers
- Further positive data announced from belantamab mafodotin (BCMA) DREAMM-1 study and reported in Blood Cancer Journal
Emma Walmsley, Chief Executive Officer, GSK said:
“We have made a strong start to 2019, which is an important year of execution for GSK, with growth in sales, operating margins and earnings per share in Q1, in line with our expectations. Strengthening our pipeline remains our number one priority and we reported positive data for several potential new medicines in HIV and Oncology during the quarter. I am also pleased to report that integration planning for our new proposed Consumer Healthcare business is going well and, subject to relevant approvals, we continue to expect to complete this transaction in the second half of the year. We look forward to building on the progress made this quarter.”
A broadcast quality version of this film is available on request for use by media from our video footage library. To request access, please contact us through our media relations team on +44 (0)20 8047 5502 or email email@example.com
GSK – one of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For further information please visit www.gsk.com/about-us.
Cautionary statement regarding forward-looking statements
The Group’s reports filed with or furnished to the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), including this document and written information released, or oral statements made, to the public in the future by or on behalf of the Group, may contain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements give the Group’s current expectations or forecasts of future events. An investor can identify these statements by the fact that they do not relate strictly to historical or current facts. They use words such as ‘anticipate’, ‘estimate’, ‘expect’, ‘intend’, ‘will’, ‘project’, ‘plan’, ‘believe’ and other words and terms of similar meaning in connection with any discussion of future operating or financial performance. In particular, these include statements relating to future actions, prospective products or product approvals, future performance or results of current and anticipated products, sales efforts, expenses, the outcome of contingencies such as legal proceedings, and financial results. Other than in accordance with its legal or regulatory obligations (including under the UK Listing Rules and the Disclosure and Transparency Rules of the Financial Conduct Authority), the Group undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. The reader should, however, consult any additional disclosures that the Group may make in any documents which it publishes and/or files with the SEC. All readers, wherever located, should take note of these disclosures. Accordingly, no assurance can be given that any particular expectation will be met and shareholders are cautioned not to place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements.
Forward-looking statements are subject to assumptions, inherent risks and uncertainties, many of which relate to factors that are beyond the Group’s control or precise estimate. The Group cautions investors that a number of important factors, including those in this document, could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in any forward-looking statement.
Such factors include, but are not limited to, those discussed under ‘Principal risks and uncertainties’ on pages 241 to 250 of the 2018 Annual Report. Any forward-looking statements made by or on behalf of the Group speak only as of the date they are made and are based upon the knowledge and information available to the Directors on the date of the Annual Report.
Find out more
Keep up to date with our news and recent announcements
Discover our latest financial performance announcement and search for historical quarterly results materials
Information and tools for shareholders including dividend calculator, share management tools, and advice on how to avoid share scams
Speeches & presentations
Search through our archive of speeches and presentations from conferences and events